Cider time in Michigan yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm heading back up to my home state of Michigan for a weeklong visit. It's getting to be about that time whete I start my cider batches and experimentations. I'll be in both the Detroit area and Kalamazoo. Does anybody know if any local cider is selling yet in either area?

I haven't seen any up here in Reed City. I think the season is a bit early, especially with the late spring we had. We have apples on some trees though. You might call a cider farm near where you are going, since the growing season can vary with latitude and variety.

I don't think it's going to be a good year for cider... Last winter hit us really hard and left a lot of trees broken.

I live in that area and I haven't had a single apple blossom on any of my trees and many of the orchards this year haven't either.

Markillie Orchard in Howell opened Saturday. I will be picking up 5gal. soon. Try Alber in Manchester (734) 428-9310 very good cider/ small mill.

Nice thanks! Off topic: I finally managed to try several of Short's beer I haven't been able to find in stores until now. The prolonged enjoyment is delicious, the Spruce Pilsner is unique and good, and the strawberry Short's cake was good for a strawberry ale. Definitely a dessert beer.

Sometimes I forget shorts is local ha. Yea they brew up some pretty decent stuff. We just had another brewery open in Milford, haven't gone to check it out yet tho

My Michigan adventure has me in Brighton tonight. I was told there's a new brewery that popped up here in the last month or so but I won't have time to check it out. I'll be definitely going to Founder's and Bell's however.

tried an apple at a friend's house (well, their neighbor's house...) The apples were mushy and tart. Probably really good for pies and cider. The other tree was just the same flavor, but much firmer.

I'd say that some varieties are close to using. We have variability in our crops. I have seen some trees that always have plenty of apples absolutely barren, while others are well loaded with apples. The crop is definitely down from the average.

I went to Robinette's Cider Mill in Grand Rapids. They had plenty of cider available amd it was delicious. Unfortunately, I didn't have any coolers with me, or a desire to buy any, so I left with a half gallon only.... which stayed in a hot car for too long and turned pretty foul-tasting. I guess I'll settle for the Tennessee cider nearby.

I'm heading back up to my home state of Michigan for a weeklong visit. It's getting to be about that time whete I start my cider batches and experimentations. I'll be in both the Detroit area and Kalamazoo. Does anybody know if any local cider is selling yet in either area?

Yep. Franklin Cider Mill is now open for the season.
http://www.franklincidermill.com/

Franklin is a little town that is at the center of (abuts each city of) Birmingham, Bloomfield Township, West Bloomfield, Southfield and Farmington Hills.

The cider mill was built in 1837.

Great cider. Awesome donuts. But at $10.95 a gallon ... they ought to have "financing available for qualified buyers".

Really a nice place to take a trip to though ... and Franklin Village is a quaint little town worth taking a stroll through. The mill is at the North end of the village on the border with Bloomfield Township at Franklin Road & 14 Mile Rd.

Their cider is unpasteurized and is 1/3 Honeycrisp ... the rest is Paula Reds, Zepher, and Golden Delicious.

< Edit ... oops ... I see this thread is a few weeks old ... apologies. >

Plymouth orchard and cider mill is open as well, as are most cider mills in the area now. Anybody know of any decent ones that have cheap and good quality cider for us brewers in bulk/fill my bucket(s) rates?

OP -- you should come down to north Georgia.. Ellijay is about 90 minutes from you. I know because I used to drive an hour each way to work and I live about 30 minutes from where you are. :) PM me and I'll give you directions on how to get there easily. :)

Back