Cider Tastes Watered Down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adm5087

Reaction score
Just tried a sample of my cider. Tastes watered down. Like a weak apple juice. What happened? And what to do from here?

Sometimes it will come back around with some age, but it will depend on your ingredients and as ram said...what stage you are at. You can always boost with some concentrate, but you will create another round of fermentation without some additional steps.

I am bulk aging now. I would like to force carbonate in the coming months. But all reactions have ceased and she is clear as crystal, zero sediment.

Lots of what you taste in a cider is sugar. That sugar is now turned into alcohol, so there isn't much left. If you keg, you can add some sugar or concentrate back to the cider, then force carb. If you're bottling, you can add some and bottle, then stove-top pasteurize after it carbs (probably a few days, but you'll have to test a few bottles). If you're not doing either of those, you may have to settle for dry cider. It's much different than Woodchuck. I have grown fond of Graham's Cider recipe--dry, but lots of flavor at 6 months age.

Back