Cider Stops and starts Fermentation repeatedly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Dude

Reaction score
In full disclosure this my first attempt at making hard cider. None of my family likes beer so i thought it would be nice to make them some cider for Christmas. I purchased a kit from Brewers Best - Cider House select. I've been brewing beer for years but this being my first cider, i followed the directions included to the "T". I have the temperature held constantly between 66F and 69F as per the yeast instructions. Fermentation slowly began after 48 hours. Went well for 2 days then stopped. I tilted the carboy to one side slightly, just enough to see if there was anything going on in the fermented. After about 5 minutes it started fermenting again. With an airlock bubble every 3 seconds. This continued for about 24 hours. Then stopped. I once again tilted the carboy to look down into it and then let it rest again. After about 3 minutes it started bubbling hardcore again. This has occurred 3 times already and looks like it could keep going. OG 1.050, no Krausen, airlock burps smell like eggs/sulfur, appearance is cloudy. Any ideas what is making it react to my tilting it? Should i stop tinkering with it and just let it do its thing?

Airlock activity or lack of is not the same as fermenting starting and stopping. My first guess would be a leaky seal. The second guess would be temp. changes. I've never used a B. B. cider kit but I have used that yeast for a couple of years. It'll usually take it to 1.004 in 10-14 days with temps. in the 60's.

and reach in there and give it a good stir up, you already know how to make beer, cider should be much easier, no cooking stuff but you have to be just as clean. WVMJ

The kit did not come with nutrient. I used two S-04 dry ale yeast. I've considered sticking my spoon in and giving a little stir but fear that may lead to contamination. Thank You for your response. I knew it should be much easier than beer but i'm used to beer and this seemed to be diving into the unknown. Smell is filling my brewing room. Strong smell of sulfur or rotten eggs. Very much different than i am used to.

Apple juice has almost zero nutrients available for yeast, so this is what causes the rhino-farts smell.

Always use nutrient when making cider. Otherwise, fermentation will also take about 6 times as long to complete.

Apple juice has almost zero nutrients available for yeast, so this is what causes the rhino-farts smell.

Always use nutrient when making cider. Otherwise, fermentation will also take about 6 times as long to complete.
Is there anything i can do post active fermentation to better assist my yeast?

Take a hydrometer reading- S04 can go FAST and it sounds like it could be done. You definitely don't want to stir at this point, if the SG is under about 1.020 or so.

Is there anything i can do post active fermentation to better assist my yeast?

You can always add nutrient later if you've forgotten it, but do it very slowly and in a very small amount. And have your fermenter in the shower or something - some gushing may occur. No need to stir it or anything.

I just now took a gravity reading. Currently sitting at 1.012. It appears to still be fermenting, that is if bubbles rising from the bottom to the top are any indication that active fermentation is occurring. Direction suggest that the F.G. will be around 1.004.

I just now took a gravity reading. Currently sitting at 1.012. It appears to still be fermenting, that is if bubbles rising from the bottom to the top are any indication that active fermentation is occurring. Direction suggest that the F.G. will be around 1.004.

It might end around 1.004- it might not.

It sounds fine right now. Don't stir it or anything- just keep in in the mid 60s and let it finish.

Back