Cider smells strong and not fermenting

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Tonycollins

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider brewing, this is my third time but this one seems different, it has a strong smell, and the airlock hasn't bubbled, I have noticed what looks like bubbles rising to the surface, then sinking back down, it has an sg of 1.00, it has been fermenting for 10 days, can anyone advise ?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If the SG is 1.000, it sounds done, but depending on the yeast strain it could go a little lower. Airlocks don't have to bubble, as it could be simply leaking around the seal.
You can taste it if you want.

OP
T

Tonycollins

Reaction score
I have a batch of cider brewing, this is my third time but this one seems different, it has a strong smell, and the airlock hasn't bubbled, I have noticed what looks like bubbles rising to the surface, then sinking back down, it has an sg of 1.00, it has been fermenting for 10 days, can anyone advise
If the SG is 1.000, it sounds done, but depending on the yeast strain it could go a little lower. Airlocks don't have to bubble, as it could be simply leaking around the seal.
You can taste it if you want.
Thanks yooper,
But any idea what the things that float to the surface and then sink back down ??
Regards
Tony

CKuhns

Everything learned in Kindergarten still applies!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The "floaters" are most likely yeast and or Krausen caught up in some suspended CO2. Try cold crashing it for a few days in a fridge if you have the room prior to racking that usually settles them down.