Cider Secondary Temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIptidedylan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your help so far with my cider adventure! I have many batches at various stages of primary fermentation right now--right around 68 degrees--I know that a bit cooler may be even better but hopefully this will be okay.

My question is, I now have the ability to age the cider at a cooler temp --say 63 or 64 degrees, for the next 2-6 months. Is it okay or preferable to move it to a cooler temp in the secondary or will the temp difference of the two fermentation mess with it? Additionally, is it worth moving a 68 degree primary fermentation to the 64 degree room halfway through fermentation?

Thanks!

What is your cider source, and what yeast did you use?

My cider ferments at 65f and sits at 65f until it's bottled +/- 3-5f as that area is not climate controlled.

It's a bit varied-- for the most part my two cider sources are freshly pressed apples --cortland, mac, mutsu, crab, gala, other wild tannic varieties; and fresh cider from local mills. The yeast also varies, I'm doing lots of experiments, much of it is WYEAST cider yeast, White labs english cider yeast, and a cultured wild yeast I've been working on. But I also have a batch of cider house select yeast, mangrove jacks cider yeast, nottingham ale yeast, and Lauvin champagne yeast or wine yeast that everyone uses (I forget the number 1011? )

I'm basically wondering if its important to keep my secondary resting location at the same 68 or 69 that its fermented at or if knocking it down to say 65 is okay at this point (only 1-2 weeks in)

Great! Thanks everyone, I bought a two outlet thermostat control that I plan to plug into an AC unit and a heater, and make my "office" stay at a temp of 64-65 degrees at all times. I will have to suffer with the cold, but alas, great tasting cider clearly takes precedent over minuscule physical discomforts !

Back