Cider Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyhuskins

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to cider making, having made three batches so far with mixed results. I'm interested in hearing other peoples recipes and approaches to all kinds of cider making whether it be traditional apple or more creative ventures (I want to try a mango cider)...I would really appreciate any ideas and inspirations for further experimenting!

Thanks,

James

My basic recipe is 5 gal cider
5 cups or 5 pounds sugar
Yeast (nutrient optional)
and 48-60 oz fresh fruit

My recommendation for mango or any additions to apple cider would be to add them to secondary. I've found that adding additional flavors to primary seems to strip a lot of the flavors in the fermentation process. Not that it doesn't work in primary, just my experience.

I ferment my base for a week or two and then rack onto the additions and let it ferment out again. Once it reaches my target gravity, I rack again and let clear. Then keg or bottle.

I'm not one for recepes. The absolutely best cider I have ever produced came from a nice blend of cider apples fresh picked. I'm actually waiting to empty my graf from my only keg so I can start putting the stuff on my keg.
I have tried a plum cider and ended up with a cider that tastes like plum with no apples. The flavors did not blend well. Turns out I'm not a fan of plums after all. Raspberry on the other hand has a very good taste, but yet again, its not really tasting like apples, just raspberries. The graf is the only "recepe" I will try again. That is good stuff.

Back