Cider Recipe and Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
Fellow ciderers:

I am going to make my first batch since an attempt at Ed Wort's apfelvine a few years back.

My plan is to use 4 gallons of apple cider, along with two containers of frozen apple juice, and 1 additional gallon of water.

I want to go gluten-free, so my plan is to go with a Fermentis strain - has anyone used the safcider strain? - http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/FT-SafciderEN.pdf

Also, when I reach a good fermentation point (when it's bubbly, but still sweet) after bottling, do you think I can cold crash it in my fridge, or will I need to hot pasteurize it?

-J.

I have to thank you, I was not even aware that this strain of yeast existed!

As too cold crashing or hot pasteurization, cold crashing is sufficient as long as you keep the cider at a very cold temperature consistently after the Cold crash. Any raising of the temperature after the cold crash will immediately results In re fermentation. If you plan to keep the cider at above a deep cold temperature, I would recommend using a hot pasteurization technique, or a back sweetening technique.

Back