Cider Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanS

Reaction score
I have brewed a few batches of beer now and wanted to try and quick and dirty cider recipe i found on the internet, which was 5 gallons apple juice, 5 cups of sugar, (I added half tablespoon of cinnamon) and champagne yeast. It has been in the primary for nine days now and I took a second hydrometer reading. It dropped from a 1.06 to a whopping 1.002. Does this seem correct or is it too much? And if this is good do i just go straight to bottles with cider, or should I put it in a secondary? Any opinions welcome. thanks

Well, it'll probably ferment down to .990 or .992 before it's done. After it's completely done, it'll fall clear. Then you can bottle as is, sweeten, carbonate, etc, whatever you want to do.

I'd put it in a secondary when it's finished fermenting and age it a little before proceeding to bottle, though.

Back