Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1sttimebrewer

Reaction score
Hey all, just made a cider on 12/1 with 5 gallons of apple cider(pasteurized) and 1 cup brown sugar, then used champane yeast and had great airlock activity for 3 days. Had a little too much to drink the day of and didn't get a starting gravity(idiot ,I know). Anyway, Took a gravity reading today and it's right at 1.000. Any thoughts? It tastes pretty damn good right now but I also know its got a ways to go. I wanted to try and cold crash a bit to see if I can keep some of the sweetness which it has now. I'm guessing it's not done fermenting hence the low alcohol? Thoughts and criticisms are welcome. Thx

One cup of sugar in a 5 gallon batch isn't much. Probably only raised the gravity 3-4 points. Apple cider varies, but I'd guess your OG was 1.050-1.055. At 1.000, you're around 7% ABV.

I don't think it has much farther to go, but I'd crash cool it now if you want to retain some sweetness.

I'm surprised to hear that champagne yeast left some sweetness at 1.000. Since it sounds like's it's pretty much done, I'd rack it to a secondary and let it age in the coldest place in your house...apartment....girlfriends closet...mother's basement...haha...just kidding....you get the picture.

Back