cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithw44

Reaction score
I got 20 gallons of cider going 5 gallon of cote de blanc, 5 of sweet mead with 4lbs dark brown sugar, 5 gallons lavlin 1112, 5 gallons of I forget cause my mind is shot...but anyways i really like woodchuck amber and magners cider i dont like really dry cider which i think im going to get with the lavlin 1112, all are still bubbling except cote de blanc stopped after 6 days i did one of these last year and it took much long been about 6 weeks now and have a good sediment layer on bottom any opinions on this stopping so early it had 2 yeast packets in it already cause i killed the batch in hot water and has nutrient in it from the start. should i let it be?
also as i said want it sweet and apple taste still in it with my sweet mead should i let it go till it stops bubbling or put it in second rack before it stops to catch apple flavor so it doesnt dry out too much.
anyone have tips on how to get a sweet cider like wood chuck amber or magners cider? thanks this is my secon year doing this still learning...

My cider is sweet. It is right at its FG today. 1.001. I may be racking tomorrow if its the same. I used Wyeast 4148. It has lived up to the sweet name. I would compare it to Hornsby's Crisp Apple. I can't wait for this to age. It is much more potent @ 10.5%

Thanks Ill have to remember that one for next season do you add any nutrient or anything to it? and do you let it fully ferment or stop it early approx how long do you let it go for? do you do a secondary rack?

Thanks Ill have to remember that one for next season do you add any nutrient or anything to it? and do you let it fully ferment or stop it early approx how long do you let it go for? do you do a secondary rack?

I added 4 lbs of corn sugar to 5 gallon of UV pasteurized local cider from just up the road a mile. 1 smack pack of the yeast and it took off. No yeast nutrient or peptic enzyme. I am going to rack onto some cranberries for a couple of weeks for a touch af tartness, then rack again and bulk it for as long as I can stand it.

OG was 1.081 and FG will be at 1.000 at fully fermented. I can tell the yeast is about done with the % of alcohol near its max tolerance.

Back