Cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhunter87

Reaction score
I I'm going to make some cider from awesome Lancaster grown apples, and pretty stoked about it. My question is, if Im making hard cider, and I want drink some if it hot, and some cold, should I carb all of it? Or wouldn't hot cider be better uncarbd?

I only do beer do this is a whole new thing for me. Also, should I prime with white sugar? Or brown sugar? Honey??

Also, when adding my cloves/cinnamon, should I add those in primary? Or dry hop with em? Or I guess when do I add the spices???

1. The heat will drive out most residule carbonation when you mull the cider; carb it all or carb half, whatever is easier for you.

2. Backsweeten with apple concentrate or sugar, or brown sugar, or honey, or whatever else you want; this is mostly a taste pref. But be sure to watch yourself lest you end up with bombs.

3. I add spices to the glass for hot cider, and add to the bottle for cold cider, but again, I think its just a personal preference issue. Add to the secondary (if you secondary) at the soonest, to the glass at the latest :p

Have fun with it and appreciate the art of it all :mug:

Hey thanks. About how much brow sugar y'all been using on a 5 gal batch if I want to jack up the fermentable's, like 2lbs?

Back