cider problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toularat

Reaction score
Hi. I'm not sure what to do about this.

I started cider on 10/7/08. It was clear and I added 2 tsp. pot sorbate and 4 camden to 4 gallons of cider on 11/20. Also 1 can apple concentrate. Let set and bottled 12/2.

Last month I found one cork came out. This was the only bottle that was a screw top so I thought that was the problem. I opened one last night and found it lightly carbonated. I don't know why this happened, plus I don't know if I need to open all the bottles and kill the yeast again? It didn't seem to have tons of pressure when I opened it. Or, can I just leave it be and it won't carbonate any more than it is already? Can anyone tell me how this could have happened?
thanks for your help.

If it wasn't done fermenting, potassium sorbate and campden won't stop it. Usually, if the wine/cider is at .996 or below, it's about done. Sorbate and Campden keeps yeast from reproducing, so that the fermentation won't start again when it's sweetened. It should have been finished, though, by looking at your time table.

I'm wondering if it's not been fermenting, but you have some co2 dissolved in there. If it was gassy when it was bottled, that could explain some of the carbonation but not the popped cork unless you had a temperature change (did it warm up?). Usually wines and ciders are given more time so they degas naturally. Bottling it at such a young age might have been the culprit, unless you degassed it.

Honestly, though, I'm just kind of grasping at straws! My best guess is that it wasn't quite done fermenting, unless your hydrometer readings were stable and under .996.

I was following the Apfelwein method I guess. I did not verify with the hydrometer, which I always do with wine. So I am guessing that is probably the problem. I did not see any activity, which is why I waited a week before bottling. There were no bubbles and it was clear. So that must be it.

It has been at a steady temp of 65 degrees, stored in a cooler. Do you think I am in danger of more corks coming out? Should I dump into a carboy and let it sit a while?

thanks.

Back