Cider ph way too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefbri

Reaction score
I've had a honey crisp cider in the secondary for 9 months. Initially it was fermented with cider yeast. When I racked into the secondary I added a mixture of wild berries (sterilized with vodka) and I pitched lactobacillus and Brett. I just tasted it. it's good but it's extremely tart. Test strips indicate that I am at a ph of about 2.5. Do I have 6 gallons of vinegar? Will I be able to mellow with calcium carbonate? Should I blend it with something(please don't say olive oil and dijon mustard)?

Do I have 6 gallons of vinegar?
Vinegar has a pretty distinct taste and aroma.
You should be able to tell.

You can measure the amount of acetic acid if you want to do some acid titrations.
Will I be able to mellow with calcium carbonate?
Maybe. Potassium carbonate would be a better choice than calcium carbonate.

It won't work if the bacteria have converted all the malic acid to lactic acid.
Should I blend it with something(please don't say olive oil and dijon mustard)?
Sure, if you have a wine or cider that could use more acid.

Sweetening is another option to reduce the perception of tartness.

Some other things:
-Soaking in vodka doesn't sterilize. There are wild microbes present inside fruit where vodka may not penetrate.
-The berries really didn't need to be "sterilized" since you went ahead and added Brett and bacteria anyway.
-PH strips are pretty unreliable in general.

Vinegar has a pretty distinct taste and aroma.
You should be able to tell.

You can measure the amount of acetic acid if you want to do some acid titrations.

Maybe. Potassium carbonate would be a better choice than calcium carbonate.

It won't work if the bacteria have converted all the malic acid to lactic acid.

Sure, if you have a wine or cider that could use more acid.

Sweetening is another option to reduce the perception of tartness.

Some other things:
-Soaking in vodka doesn't sterilize. There are wild microbes present inside fruit where vodka may not penetrate.
-The berries really didn't need to be "sterilized" since you went ahead and added Brett and bacteria anyway.
-PH strips are pretty unreliable in general.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the advice.

Back