Cider Pastuerization Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WNCBrewman

Reaction score
So I just pastuerized my cider via the stove top. I heated water to 175 degrees and they sat for 15 minutes. I used a kitchenaid rubber tray to seperate the bottles from the bottom of the kettle and bottom of the 12 oz. bottles.
I pulled the kettle off the heat before placing the bottles in with tongs and oven mitts. I did not have any issues with tops fizzing, sounding, or bottles breaking. Very happy about that. My only question is.....was this enough heat for enough time to kill of the yeast? The bottles were at my carbonation preference before attempting the Pappers Pastuerization method.
Only time will tell, but I would love some added confirmation from the board that this was enough heat to do the trick.
Thanks!:mug:

Edit - When I pulled the bottles out the water measured consistenly at 156 degrees...

Put them in the fridge and leave one out...if it blows up, it didn't work lol

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

WNCBrewman brings up a great point, what is the bottle temperature we are trying to hit anyway? has anyone else that has done this measured their bottle temps when they took them out?

It appears that the temp, time, and process stated above did the trick. Thanks to peppers and all those who contributed to that thread for the help with my first cider. It turned out well.

It appears that the temp, time, and process stated above did the trick. Thanks to peppers and all those who contributed to that thread for the help with my first cider. It turned out well.

That's great to hear! Thanks for reporting back so that others can have some input when they try it.

Back