Cider OG not dropping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacingRam

Reaction score
Hi everyone- Monday night, I picked up 4 gal of fresh cider from a local orchard. I added another gal of preservative-free apple juice with a pound of brown sugar and some spices boiled into it. I took a gravity reading (1.072), then I threw a smack-pack of 1068 in there. It's been bubbling nicely since Tuesday morning and the carboy's at about 65F.

The krausen got up to 2-3 inches yesterday, then it disappeared today. I took a gravity reading out of curiosity and got....1.072! Not even a little change from 3 days ago. So either I (1) took the OG wrong or (2) got way too impatient for a cider (this is my first). Or is there something I'm not thinking about?

If you saw activity, I would assume you took the SG wrong. Wouldn't hurt to repitch though and play the waiting game...

If there were carbonation bubbles on your hydrometer when taking your reading to check progress, you would get a higher inaccurate reading. Not sure if that was the case or not...

Are you sure your hydrometer is accurate? 1.072 for 1 pound of sugar and 5 gallons of apple juice seems kind of high. Maybe not, although just something to think about. You got the same reading both times maybe check it in beer or water just to see what you get for a reading.

Impossible. Did you have enough cider in the test vial for it to sink lower than 1.072? My cider ferments out dry in 2-3 days, but I've had it go dry in less than 24 hours. If you saw the kind of activity you're describing it's probably almost dry. Also, when it does, that's going to be some rocket fuel at almost 10% ABV.

Back