Cider, not airlock, STILL bubbling after 1+ months in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argentum

Reaction score
I've got two gallons of cider going. I added some previously washed and harvested Nottingham yeast to one gallon of cider, then two weeks later I racked it onto a gallon of white grape peach.

It's very tasty, but over two weeks after I racked it's still aggressively bubbling/fizzing when I take a sample. Because it's fizzy it's hard to take a gravity reading but it appears to be about 1.010. SG does not appear to have changed much in about 4 days.

Question: if it continues to fizz it must still be fermenting, right? Otherwise those bubbles would escape solution and I'd have a flat cider. So it's not stuck...and I guess it's not done? Any ideas? I've never had something take so long to ferment. Condition maybe, but I'd think fermentation would be done by now.

As for why I ask: I'm impatient and want to drink my apple peach cider.

Disclaimer: this is a repost of a thread titled "bubbles!" Sorry for gumming up the forum but I can't figure out how to delete that post.

You say you want to drink your peach cider, what's stopping you? What does it taste like?
If you like the taste, go ahead and drink it. If not, I'd rack it off into 1 gallon jugs and let it sit a while longer. I never drink cider that young, but if it suits you then go for it. Cheers!
:mug:

I've yet to have a cider finish fermenting in under 6 weeks. 2 months is usually required in my limited experience for fermentation to complete.

This sounds completely normal and unsurprising to me.

sounds about right. it takes a good month for cider to complete. But, two weeks in, you racked it onto a brand new sugar source, pretty much starting the fermentation over again. I bet you got at least 2 more weeks left

Back