Cider Noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my primary has been going for just over a day now. Is there anything I should be doing on a daily basis for primary?

Should I be stirring? Check the hydrometer every few days?

Anything else?

Right, I got that down. It's currently at around 68 degrees. I am think about putting it down to 56 degrees to get nice flavor extraction but I am worried the (champagne) yeast will quit on me.

Although there are some champagne yeasts that can ferment at 56 degrees, 59 degrees is generally the lowest temperature for most that I've seen (that said, going below that doesn't necessarily mean the yeast will stop fermenting, but I've never heard of someone recommending a fermentation range in the mid 50s for cider). I've fermented ciders with white wine yeasts (but not champagne) and ale yeasts and their ranges are pretty similar with the best fermentation range generally in the low 60s (like 60-64F). I did ferment a cider at 68-70F once, though, that turned out great.

So my primary has been going for just over a day now. Is there anything I should be doing on a daily basis for primary?

Should I be stirring? Check the hydrometer every few days?

Anything else?

Absolutely! Go have a home brew and be patient! :ban:

Nothing at all to do, hang in there and it'll make cider all by itself.

If you can take your temperature down to the low 60's, I'd do that and let it sit until its done. You don't have to stir it or do anything. When it stops bubbling, wait a few days and pull a sample for a gravity reading. Taste the sample, but don't worry about it too much, let the cider sit a few more days and then take another reading and if the two readings match then its most likely done. Expect a dry cider when using champagne yeast. If your gravity reading is above 1.000, its probably not done, you can boost the temp and see if it finishes. If it tastes ok, you can drink it right away, but I age my ciders 4-6 months before drinking, good luck.

A gentle shake every few days moves stuff around nicely, not essential but if you're like me and can't help staring into your carboy and checking it every hour its quite fun to do.

I don't know if this is common, but my first cider's been bubbling for over 3 weeks now and it's still going. It's nothing but pure apple juice and Safale S04. So you may have some time to wait depending on your yeast and nutrients used. I keep checking my 6 fermenters (various different liquids) 3-4 times a day watching all the lovely little bubbles. :D

Back