Cider: No fermentation yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncfield

Reaction score
Hi all... Found my first batch of cider and was trying to make it as simple as possible. 5 gals of apple cider from my local orchard straight into the sanitized primary. Added 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulfite & used D47 yeast per the recommendation of my LHBS. It's been about 36 hours and I'm not seeing any fermentation. Did I do something wrong or should I be more patient?
Note: This would be my first time using a dry yeast I had to activate, so I'm hoping I did everything right :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did you wait 24-48 hours after using the K-meta? If not, that's your problem. Get some fresh yeast and try again, as you killed your yeast if you used it with the K-Meta.

My five gallon batch (kept simple like you) was having a slow start, so I moved it from the basement to the kitchen. Warmer environment has made the yeast happy.

If that's not an issue, you may need to add a yeast nutrient to keep them happy and bubbling.

I'm assuming you checked with your local orchard to make sure they don't use preservatives? If they do, your yeast are dead and will never ferment.

Newsman thanks for the reply. So if I'm following, prepare another packet of D47, add it to the primary (Do I need to aerate? I did when I first added the yeast). After 48 hours, then add the 1/4 tsp of potassium meta? This is my first cider so I'm still nervous about my first batch.

Newsman thanks for the reply. So if I'm following, prepare another packet of D47, add it to the primary (Do I need to aerate? I did when I first added the yeast). After 48 hours, then add the 1/4 tsp of potassium meta? This is my first cider so I'm still nervous about my first batch.

No. Do NOT add any more potassium meta. K-Meta will kill your yeast. If you want a still cider, then add some AFTER it's done fermenting, but before you bottle. Also, be sure to add some yeast nutrient, as cider is lacking in nutrients. You may also want to add some corn sugar to dry things out a bit and make it a little more alcoholic, but that's personal choice. :)

Got it. Thanks all. What do you all recommend I use as a yeast nutrient?

NCField... they make something called "yeast nutrient" :) Yeast Energizer is very similar, but not exactly the same thing, but from what I've been told by my LHBS and on here, you can pretty much use them interchangeably.

Note of thanks to everyone for jumping in on this. Pitched a new yeast last night and added the nutrient. We're bubbling away today! Thank you!

Back