Cider making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMarkWhite

Reaction score
Morning,
Making some cider for the first time and was going to do a two gallon batch. From what I've read the sugar in the apple juice should be enough to be about 6%. How true is this? I plan on heating to 170 for a bit, but how long is good? Also since I'm only doing a two gallon batch, should I pitch half my packet of yeast or is okay to pitch the whole thing?

Thanks!

No need to heat it at all. If you do it might stay cloudy. You need a hydrometer. If the S. G. I'd 1.050 you will get 6%. If it's not you can add a little sugar to get there.

Cider ain't beer - don't heat it. If it's unpasteurized then use campden tablets to treat it before pitching.

A typical cider starts at 1.050 and if you ferment dry you'll have about 6.5% alcohol.

1 tsp per gallon is enough, but it's ok to split the packet between 2 gallons.

You should be able to expect a starting gravity of about 1.045 - 1.050 without the addition of any sugar. Since fruit sugars are essentially perfectly fermentable that should result in a cider with about 6% (plus/minus) alcohol. And as MarkKF suggests - there is no need to heat apple juice unless you are aiming to make jam and so set the pectins... Heat is good for beer not fruit or honey wines of which cider is a family member.

Thanks guy. Is it okay to add a cinnamon stick the in primary? I've read some articles where so say yes.

Back