cider krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kewlio250

Reaction score
anyone had a cider with a large krausen, like a beer would?

just wondering, largest ive ever seen was less than an inch tall, but i only fill my 6.5 gallon fermenter up to 5.5 gallons just in case, and wondering if this is just wasteful

Check my pics under red hot cider just transferred to secondary today, you can see the line on my primary, less than an inch I'd say.

I think it depends on the yeast and what you add to it.
My first batch was EC-1118 and brown sugar. Maybe 1/4" krausen, just a few bubbles floating around.
The last couple batches I used 71b-1122. Boiled the sugar to caramelize it before adding to the cider. I used a blow off tube on my 6.5 gal carboy, but I did have it pretty full. The second primary was done in a 7gal pail and the krausen was about 2 inches, right up to the lid.

A blackberry cider I did with S-04 got up to maybe 2 inches, then receded.

387673_2775544077485_1524572682_2801794_1219797096_n.jpg

I just started, but both of my batches thus far have had little to no krausen. One still got high enough to foul the airlock twice, but looking at it otherwise, I have no idea how it did.

Back