cider from frozen concentrate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor strangebrew

Reaction score
Hello, make cider years ago from frozen apple juice concentrate (all of my experience is with making beer so total rookie with cider) Made a 1 gallon batch recently and had issues getting it going. Mixed FAJC too weak and dry yeast (red star champagne) forgot to rehydrate and might have been iffy yeast to begin with. Very slow fermentaion, so I added sugar and repitched some more yeast (rehydrate) Doing OK now. I don't have a hydrometer so how strong should I make the juice? ! can concentrate to 1 can water (or 2 cans) Don't care about perfect cider for now, just want it to be fairly strong alcohol (like wine) Is there a better yeast to use than pastuer champagne? Temps are warming up fast here and it can tolerate higher temps than most wine yeast... would ale yeast be better? Some day I will get more serious about cider, but on very low budget for now. I will add yeast nutrient also.

I use a simple recipe for a 8+% cider:
  • 1 gal juice
  • 1 can FAJC
  • ale yeast
  • handful of raisins
Pour out enough juice so you can add the FAJC to the jug (you can use 2 cans if you want it really high ABV). Add raisins. shake well. Add yeast. Top with airlock and let her rip. This is a good, very basic cider, there is lots you can do to improve it, but its not bad as is.

I use a simple recipe for a 8+% cider:
  • 1 gal juice
  • 1 can FAJC
  • ale yeast
  • handful of raisins
Pour out enough juice so you can add the FAJC to the jug (you can use 2 cans if you want it really high ABV). Add raisins. shake well. Add yeast. Top with airlock and let her rip. This is a good, very basic cider, there is lots you can do to improve it, but its not bad as is.

Why raisins? Added for taste or extra sugars for ABV?

The raisins provide nutrients for the yeast, as well as give it a bit more "mouth feel;" i.e. body and astringency. Some people use cut up bananas. I have never tried them, I figure it would just make more sediment.

I use chopped raisins for the body and tannins.
From what I have read, and my own experience they kinda suck as nutrient. Better than nothing but not as good as the powdered/crystalized stuff

I figure they are just dried little grapes, so they must be fairly good for the yeast. A lot of recipes call for them. I think I first encountered them as nutrient in a mead recipe.

That's what made my start using them. Had an issue with rhino farts that I have not had with the store bought nutes. I still use them in my cider.

Every now and then I have a problem with rhino farts. You say the store-bought nutrients stop them? I need to try.

That's what made my start using them. Had an issue with rhino farts that I have not had with the store bought nutes. I still use them in my cider.
Have never used raisins in my ciders - might be worth a try...to mix things up [emoji57] How much do ya use per gal?

I just realized that it doesn't make sense to just use frozen concentrate and water. The water here is not very good, so I realized I should use regular juice and frozen concentrate, just working out the ratios.

I typically use 4 gallons of Aldi bottled apple juice (I have 4 gallon plastic carboys), a pound of sugar, 2 tsp yeast nutrients, and a packet of white wine yeast. Red Star "Cote des Blancs" (Epernay II) is a good yeast. I've also pitched a cup of beer yeast slurry, whatever I have fresh, and that works but I usually like wine yeast better. S-33 is pretty cheap for an ale yeast, and if I recall correctly it made a tasty cider.

I love the idea of using the Aldi apple juice. I have a limited supply of fresh pressed. Doesn't the Aldi stuff have preservatives in it?

Aldis has several juices that can be used to make beverages. I made a wine from the pomegranate/plum and black cherry/plum that so far is the best thing I have made.

FAJC works well for cider. I like it over the pre-made juices (Unless fresh pressed) as I use enough to hit my target OG and rather than adding raw sugars I just use less water or more juice. I also take advantage of the groceries filtered water station and fill a 5 gallon water bottle for 0.36 Cents a gallon or just buy gallons of spring water. When everything is said and done roughly $2 a gallon until I add fruit and or spices, oak etc.

Great tip! I'm going to run out of my s-04 ale stuff (guess that's what everyone likes the most) I hit Aldi yesterday afternoon. Picked up 9 bottles of their juice. Added 3 cups of very dark maple syrup that a friend cooked this spring (got it to OG 1.060) The stuff is bubbling away this morning! It doesn't have a foamy top like my pressed juice, but it looks good. I just started doing cider about 3 years ago and new to this forum. THANKS for the ideas and patience if I ask a dumb question!

Aldi juice is on the right new batch.jpg

I just realized that it doesn't make sense to just use frozen concentrate and water. The water here is not very good, so I realized I should use regular juice and frozen concentrate, just working out the ratios.

If you're already using juice, why also add concentrate? Other than raising gravity/abv.

Just made a cyser with aldi juice and turned out so far so good. It's in secondary right now. Headed back in the morning to pick up 5 gallons worth and probably some frozen concentrate to add some more sugar.

Yes, more alcohol and flavor. My last batch was very weak and bland. Just made another batch (see my post... Apple Berry Pie Cider) Got a bit crazy and overdid it. My point was it makes more sense to use FAJC with regular apple juice than to use FAJC with water (if you have crappy water like me) I could use bottled water of course. The trick is working out the proportions (I don't have a hydrometer)

Back