Cider for Beginners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budlight201

Reaction score
I'm currently starting my first batch of cider. I want to start with 1 Gallon. How much Sugar and Yeast should I use; and what's the best Yeast to use?

Also what are good additives to add? And how long does it take for fermentation to finish?

I'd recommend starting with at least 3 gals.
By the time that your done racking and bottling, you won't have much to show for your troubles.
Just make sure that it has no preservatives.

You can use a whole pack of yeast if you use 3 gals.
That might be too much for just 1 gal though.
As far as how much sugar, that depends on the original specific gravity of your juice and what your target ABV is.

I agree with making more than 1 gallon -- it will lose a lot due to sediment so make at least 2 gallons if not 3.

I'd recommend zero added sugar, and about 1/4 pack of yeast for 1 or 2 gallons. You'll naturally get 6-7% ABV without any extra sugar. No chemical additives are necessary either. Just juice. Simple as that!

Ferment cool if you can. I like 55 F but anything less than 70 F is just fine.

Be patient. Cider takes a good month or two to finish fermenting. If you want to retain some sweetness, then rack to a new clean container once per week, and place in the refrigerator when it tastes good. Then if you want, just drink it straight from the jug. I do that a lot.

Cheers! :mug:

I disagree. I start with 1-1/2 gal. in a small bucket then rack into a gal. jug. Bottle in nine 12 oz. bottles. One packet of yeast is fine, not too much. I don't add any sugar if S. G. is over 1.050. But you can add 1 cup or 1 pound of cane or raw sugar per gal.

I suggest doing no less than 5 gallons.
You should try doing them all seperatley.
Employ differing amounts of sugar in each.
Do a side by side taste comparison of ALL OF THEM.
Do this taste test repeatedly to show how each ages.
You may like batch #1 better than #3 at the one month mark.
But at the three month mark like #3 better than #1,ect,ect.
After collecting this data you can then choose which one you liked the most and do larger batches of it.
Hope this helps.

Back