Cider flaws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I found an interesting web site from an outfit that sells stuff for sensory training of cider, wine and beer judges. I find that it's useful for identifying what certain flaws smell like and what can cause them. I wondered how a judge could identify "cheese" as an aroma flaw in one of the ciders that I submitted to a competition - I guess they use these training aids to teach that..

Anyway, have a look:

https://www.aroxa.com/cider/cider-flavour-standard

OK. I'm calling a foul. If you add "neutral" to a cider and try to test it on your palate how do you know it's working. wouldn't you have to start with a "perfect" cider to find true neutral? And $40.00 for what is ostensibly nothing?

Last edited:
OK. I'm calling a foul. If you add "neutral" to a cider and try to test it on your palate how do you know it's working. wouldn't you have to start with a "perfect" cider to find true neutral? And $40.00 for what is ostensibly nothing?

LMAO too. For 39 GBP, aprox $50, you get neutral. Is this some really expensive placebo? Here's the description:

This control standard is odourless and tasteless and can therefore be added to cider samples in a training session to provide a complete experimental match to flavoured products produced with other flavour standards. While the use of such control capsules is not essential to effective training, some trainers prefer to use them so that unflavoured samples can be described as identical to the test samples in all respects except for the target flavour.

Latest posts

Back