Cider flavor help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
OK...I make a batch of Graham's Dry English Cider, and then threw another batch on top the first yeast cake. No problems, finished dry, and I have about 10 gallons of cider. My English friends say it is "spot on" tasting like English Dry Cider. Great huh?

Not really. I don't like this stuff...I can drink it, but I just don't like it. Maybe South Texas just ain't cut out for cider drinkers.

What can I mix with this cider to make it taste decent? I tried a gallon with a can of frozen apple juice and it was better, but kinda mehhh. Mixed a quart with a can of Pina Colada mix, tasted great but I'm not crazy about Pina's either.

At this point, I'm thinking about making vinegar out of it....yeah, I need 10 gallons of vinegar! Need some new ideas, please.

7-up, Sprite, simple syrup, flavored simple syrup?
I am guessing the "dry cider" flavor isn't for you., I would experiment by the glass with flavor enhancers if I were you.You don't mention how old the cider is; if the cider is very young it will not taste the same in 3 months or 6 months. For most, cider really needs age to taste "right" to the American palate. Blueberry, raspberry, cranberry, and stone fruit juices go really well with apple cider. My personal favorite is apricot-apple cider, followed by peach-apple.
Maybe put your next batch could be put on fruit in "secondary" to enhance a flavor profile that will suit you better.
IMHO, please don't give up and make vinegar out of your cider, hang in there, I wasn't crazy about cider when I first made it, but I have come to appreciate it, especially when it is really hot outside.

I'm surprised the frozen juice added didn't get it up to your liking.

I've found that selection of yeast makes a huge difference. The best, most appley tasting yeast that I have found and always use now is Cote des Blancs. I've tried many yeasts and found none that are anywhere near as good, although US-05 ain't too bad. The other yeasts usually take the gravity down to 0.992-0.994 which is very dry and doesn't taste sweet or appley enough for my liking. You might find you agree. Try the Cote next time. As for this batch..... chug it.

I absolutely would not turn this to vinegar! You can save it!

First - Give it 3 - 6 months I think you will find it will age well and be significantly different than when it is "young".

Couple of other things you could try:
- Add 1 oz med toast oak chips and a couple of vanilla beans for 10 - 14 days. Adds some nice flavor and mouth feel.

- Add Fruit. - 3 -6 pounds or so Blackberries or Tart Cherry's in 5 gallons for 7 - 10 days work great with a dry cider. The sugars from the fruit will likely get your yeast going and could kick off a slow ferment unless you inhibit the yeast first. Not a problem just be aware it could and account for the extra time. If in fact the sugars in the fruit do ferment you just "kicked" up the ABV but I personally believe the fruit flavor tricks your taste buds into thinking it is sweeter than it really is. If you have inhibited the yeast and or your yeast are no longer active the residual sugars from the fruit will add some additional sweetness.

- You could try sweetening with some non-ferment-able sugar. No experience with this so not able to add anything other than search the forums.

Back