Cider fermenting realy slow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
5G 100% apple juice
3lb cane sugar
1.5lb sugar in the raw
S-04

1-8-12 OG 1.085 (best guess since)
2-5-12 SG 1.060
2-26-12 SG 1.034
3-17-12 SG 1.027 66degrees

I am concerned with only a 7 point drop in 3 weeks. Any suggestions or should I just patient and wait it out?

Did you use any yeast nutrient? I find that without the added nutrients, you often run into issues while fermenting (ie. off flavours, slow fermentation)

Yeast needs nutrient and oxygen for strong growth/budding. Neither will have a beneficial impact one primary fermentation is underway -- and certainly not after flocculation. Revelator is right that the yeast would have been better with nutrient, but I wouldn't advise adding any now and I certainly wouldn't advise cold side aeration after the lag phase of yeast growth.

If I were you, I'd try to rouse the flocculated yeast a bit without aeration and would let the temperature go up a bit to see if it helps your attenuation.

Also, it's worth pointing out that your apparent attenuation is right around 70% already. Even with added sucrose, that's not too shabby for an ale yeast like US04. What was your target FG?

Target FG is 1.012. Maybe I'll move the primary upstairs where it's a few degrees warmer and I can give the carboy a little shake.

I don't know if you'll get S-04 down to 1.012. (from 1.085) Regardless of how much simple sugar is in there. I think it might be asking a lot from that yeast. Wine yeast would probably do it. I don't know if an ale yeast will attenuate that much.

Have you considered adding a wine yeast strain in there to possibly finish it off?

I have not. Will the wine yeast signifigantly change the flavor profile? The OG is my best guess so im not really sure what the percise OG was. I would like to wait it out a little longer and see if it drops any more then if that fails I can add the wine yeast.

With almost a pound of sugar per gallon of juice...I'd think it might be higher than 1.085. GinKings is pretty good with sugar math...maybe he can provide some input.

Wine yeast will take it beyond the point of what an ale yeast will go. (or at least until the Alcohol content gets so high it dies) Then you'll have a high octane apple wine which will need to age and mellow. With that much sugar, you may end up with something that needs some age regardless.

I personally have never produced apple wine, so I can only guess.

You need to determine what you want to drink when it's finished. A wine yeast could take that cider betond a 100% attenuation. That's fine if you want something dry. If you want something a bit sweeter, stick with your ale yeast.

Next time, if you want to push us-04 to a higher attenuation, hold off on adding your sugar until fermentation has slowed. Force the yeast to work a bit harder before letting them have dessert.

Pickled_Pepper said:
With almost a pound of sugar per gallon of juice...I'd think it might be higher than 1.085. GinKings is pretty good with sugar math...maybe he can provide some input.

Wine yeast will take it beyond the point of what an ale yeast will go. (or at least until the Alcohol content gets so high it dies) Then you'll have a high octane apple wine which will need to age and mellow. With that much sugar, you may end up with something that needs some age regardless.

I personally have never produced apple wine, so I can only guess.

Base juice is somewhere near 1.045 to 1.050. Adding a pound of sugar to a gallon will add about 45 points of sg. So given 1lb per gallon you're looking at somewhere between 1.090 and 1.100

So my OG was a little higher than I thought. I guess I'll see how far the s-04 will go then add the new yeast if needed. My goal for this is a semisweet finish that is bottle conditioned and pasteurized so I can age.

I'm not a cider guy, but I have heard of a lot of dry wine yeast ciders having to be back-sweetened because of final gravities below 1.00 tasting so dry. A 1.10 OG with apparent attenuation above 100% is not the type of beverage I'd personally like to drink.

Yes but I would bottle before it gets to dry...stop at 1.012 then let it carb and pasteurize to kill the yeast. That should keep it sweet without back sweetening.

I'd be willing to bet they are in there eating away. I'd give it some time and then take another reading in a few days.

Took a reading today 1.024, moving but so slow. Hopefully this thing finishes at 1.012 when I'm not out of town since I plan on pasteurizing. Thanks for the champaign yeast recommendation.

might want to pasteurize that, dont risk bottle bombs, and it will need to sit for a while before its drinkable, and you dont want it to hog fridge space for that long

So my plastic tester bottle is fairly firm. I cracked open a bottle to test, heard some decent carb release when I popped the cap. I saw a lot of bubbles In the glass but it dissipated quickly. I think it needs more time. Currently carbing for 8 days. I feel like I won't know when it's ready...any help with knowing when to pasteurize would be appreciated.

So after 2 weeks I checked the plastic bottle...it's very firm. I cracked open a bottle and heard only a mild carb release, not many bubbles came to the top. Poured a little into a glass and tasted...I think it could still use some more time. I just want to make sure I pasteurize at the right time. Any suggestions on how long you think it could take to properly carb. OG, around 1.090 FG 1.011 before bottling, started with S-04 and finished with champaign yeast. Conditioning around 70degrees. Im just wondering if this should be a 2 week wait or a 8 week wait?

Update: it took about a month to get some decent carbonation in the bottles. I followed the another way to stovetop pasteurize thread. 25 of my 12oz bottles went fine. I then put in 4 of my 22oz bottles and instead of 10 minutes in the bath I did 12. At about 10 minutes 2 of the bottles blew. Good thing I had a lid in it. I guess next time I'll just bottle all 12oz

Back