Cider fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhubbell

Reaction score
I brewed a gallon batch of Unicorn Blood (see recipe database - sorry, I'm on my cell phone) about a month ago, it's clearing up, it's at 2 Brix, or 1.015 right now. Could I bottle this to finish aging or should I leave it? Trying to free up the space - I forgot all my 1g fermenters were in use when I made it, so it's taking up a 5g carboy and it's obnoxiously big & in the way, and screaming for me to fill it with an IPA. If this is a bad idea, what about racking to a 1g fermenter to filter it a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just moved mine to secondary after 2 1/2 weeks at 1.012, just right for me, not too dry not too sweet. Gonna let it clear and ripen for a couple weeks then back sweeten and bottle carb. You may want to let it go a few more days if it is still fermenting.

What did you add at bottling to back sweeten and carb?

I brewed a gallon batch of Unicorn Blood (see recipe database - sorry, I'm on my cell phone) about a month ago, it's clearing up, it's at 2 Brix, or 1.015 right now. Could I bottle this to finish aging or should I leave it? Trying to free up the space - I forgot all my 1g fermenters were in use when I made it, so it's taking up a 5g carboy and it's obnoxiously big & in the way, and screaming for me to fill it with an IPA. If this is a bad idea, what about racking to a 1g fermenter to filter it a bit?

If it's a one gallon batch and at 1.015 go ahead and rack it into a 1 gallon fermenter for secondary. You may need to top up a little bit or do something to eliminate headspace, that will free up your large fermenter, and should do no harm to your unicorn blood.

Should I back sweeten now, or do that when I bottle?

if you want a still product, or are kegging you would backsweeten after you stop fermentation.

If you want a carbed product and sweet product, you backsweeten right before bottling and get ready to pasteurize.

What did you add at bottling to back sweeten and carb?

The weekend I'm going back sweeten with this
Dynamic Health Concentrate, Black Cherry, 16-Ounce by Dynamic Health http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QVDJ10/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I bought them much cheaper last week, funny what Amazon does with pricing, only paid $20 for 48oz. I'm going to add little by little to bottling bucket until I get the right taste, maybe 16-32oz. Since I will be carbing this batch, I need to be real careful in preventing bottle bombs, since the sugar content will me waaay more than needed, so using two 20oz plastic test bottles to judge. Then in the dishwasher they go for pasteurization. Never done this so it'll be a learning experience...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back