Cider fermentation, infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1413779016.553904.jpg

This is the first batch of cider made from our own backyard apples, so I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I've seen cider ferment before and it didn't look like this...

Infection?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Submit it to an art show. Make money... use that money to buy more trees... win...?

hahaha. nice.

Most fascinating infection I've ever seen.

I know. I sent a picture to a friend of mine and was met with the same sentiments. "Thats incredible!" My wife thinks something is going to climb out of the fermenter.
After the initial irritation over the potential for a lost batch of cider i actually also found the result to be quite beautiful.

thanks for verifying everyone.

so, would everyone agree this is a dumper?

Nooooo! Let it ride for several months to a year. It looks like Brett, it'll make a funky "natural" cider. I am intentionally using Brett in every cider this season, so if you're going to dump it... send it to me!

Nooooo! Let it ride for several months to a year. It looks like Brett, it'll make a funky "natural" cider. I am intentionally using Brett in every cider this season, so if you're going to dump it... send it to me!

thanks for that. I was wondering if could be something beneficial. I opened it up on my way out to dump it and saw that it had dropped and that got me wondering.

gorgeous!

somewhat offtopic, but would you be willing to send me the original version of that pic? (the forum shrinks it). i use pix of pellicles as my desktop background. i NEED a pic of that beauty in my collection! feel free to PM.

Um, that's not an infection - that's a bacterial neural network. Otherwise known as "Microbial Intelligence".

You should try to get much better photos.

Um, that's not an infection - that's a bacterial neural network. Otherwise known as "Microbial Intelligence".

You should try to get much better photos.

yes, I wish I had. its gone by now... Im kicking myself for not getting out the good camera.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but happened across this pic while surfing the web. Thats a beautiful colony growing. If you are still around, how did the cider turn out?

Last edited:
An Alien contact, attempting to teach us a new kind of Mathematics.

Back