Cider ferment slowed right down after 4 days - too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumo

Reaction score
I have 2 Gallons of Ocean spray cranberry-apple jucie fermenting in a 2 gallon bucket. I added nothing else (it's 100% juice) except champagne yeast. There is about 1 inch headspace in the bucket.

Previously I have done this in 1 gallon batches and it ferments for a week or so. This is my first 2 gallon batch and while airlock activity was rapid for the first 1-3 days, it has now slowed right down on day 4. Maybe one bubble ever 2 mins.

Is this too early to stop? I have no OG readings (this is homebrew on a tight budget).

Should I try and restart it? Add some sugar? Or wait it out and see?

I also use champagne yeast, I find my fermentation usually takes off like a rocket for days 2-4, then slows down considerably. It's too bad you don't have a hydrometer. The champagne yeast will take your cider down until its completely devoid of fermentable sugar so it will taste very dry. You will need to back sweeten unless you are going for an ultra dry cider

I'm running into the same issue. I have a 5 gallon fermenting at the moment and the fermentation only seemed to last a couple days using a Mead yeast. Although I can't see any active fermenting I decided I'll keep it in the primary for 2 months to at least age it. I may take a hydrometer reading between then to see if it is a stuck fermentation or not.

I'm running into the same issue. I have a 5 gallon fermenting at the moment and the fermentation only seemed to last a couple days using a Mead yeast. Although I can't see any active fermenting I decided I'll keep it in the primary for 2 months to at least age it. I may take a hydrometer reading between then to see if it is a stuck fermentation or not.

I keep my cider in primary just about 5-7 days. You may have some headspace, even if you don't rack your ciders normally (I do) so I'd make sure it's kept topped up in a carboy even if you don't want to rack it.

I keep my cider in primary just about 5-7 days. You may have some headspace, even if you don't rack your ciders normally (I do) so I'd make sure it's kept topped up in a carboy even if you don't want to rack it.

Very good point mine had been sitting for about a month but I transferred it to another container this weekend and topped it off with fresh pasteurized apple juice. Took a reading and tasted it. Seems to be done fermenting (finished at about .998), I didn't taste any off flavors from possible oxygen exposure. The apple taste did seem a little muted but hopefully some aging will help enhance it. Thanks for the advice!

Back