Cider - Cover Primary with Plastic Wrap or Airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drudini11

Reaction score
I started a 5 gallon batch of cider last night fermenting in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. The recipe that I followed had you simply cover the carboy with plastic wrap for the first few days of fermentation (until it get's down to about 1.020) and then they have you transfer to secondary (in my case will be 5 gallon glass carboy) and then put the airlock on. There have been quite a few different recipes that I've looked at and many follow similar steps.......question is what not use airlock for primary as well? My guess is that because they ask you to periodically stir the carboy maybe the airlock would just be more cumbersome but not sure if there is a different reasoning.......hoping someone could enlighten me.

I can't think of a reason not to use an airlock, unless it's concern of blowoff which has never happened to me with cider. I've used plastic wrap or aluminum foil temporarily, but an airlock seems a better choice.

Back