Cider carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
So looking forward to summer. I have done a decent bit of cider but I am usually into mead making. Well I want to make a bit of cider for the summer months. I have developed a pretty solid and simple cider recipe that I was planning on doing for a base. Is there an easy way to calculate the amount of sugar needed to carb without the need for pasteurizing? I liked to use s-04 for cider if that helps. I know it’s vague but if anyone has suggestions please let me know thank you

You can prime 2 tablespoons sugar per gallon as you would for anything, and at same time add xylitol for sweetening in whatever amount desired, which tastes just like real sugar but is not fermentable. Works like a charm. I would typically add about 1/2 to 3/4 pound per 5 gallons, somewhere in that neighborhood. Just keep xylitol away from pets, it is lethal poison to them, but doesn't harm humans.

I'm more into my dry ciders as well. I'll add about 2Tbsp+1tsp sugar to my 1 gal batch and bottle that into flip tops and one plastic soda bottle now with a pressure gauge in the lid. Sit at room temps (66F ish) until I reach about 30-35 psi and then put them in the fridge.

However, I got spoiled by EC-1118 when it comes to carbonation. Usually takes less than a week. When I have used S-04, it takes forever to carbonate, closer to two full weeks. In fact my last S-04 batch I used a conditioning yeast for bottling and it still took about 9-10 days, but seems to have come out very nice.

I am also switching the gaskets out on my swing tops to the one piece style which has probably caused some of my carbonation issues.

Back