Cider Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilmyCider

Reaction score
Hey all, im new to the fourms and ill probably have a few questions for everyone.

im starting up a buisness making apple Cider, im not going to bother bottling im just going to keg it and send it. what i dont know much about is Carbonation, why do it? what are the advantages of doing it? what are the disadvantages ?

is it required with kegging when you are going to pressurise the keg anyway?

like i said i dont know much so keep it simple for me :) thanks in advance

I'm baffled... if you pressurize the keg, you will be carbonating the cider. So... what is your question? Maybe I need to revisit this sober...

Nitrogen is the answer to kegging still cider. Similar to kegging wine.

But, I'll echo dmtaylor's question.

Oy vey! You intend to start a business, yet the questions you ask indicate that you lack even the most basic knowledge about the industry/world you intend to enter. Without either 1) an experienced brewer to run that aspect of the business for you, and/or 2) a major acquisition of knowledge and experience on your part, your venture is almost guaranteed to fail. Maybe I'm reading you wrong, but you seem almost comically naive about the thing you propose.

Do you really know enough about brewing to start a business? Are you experienced enough to direct a commercial brewing operation? Do you really know enough about starting a business to start a business? Do you know enough about your market? Do you have a business plan? How much will that plan cost at startup? Do you have the financial resources to cover it? What steps are required for legal compliance? Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. This is barely a fraction of the questions that you should be able to answer before you plan to start a business -- especially one in a competitive market. And you're asking the forum -- great Odin's ghost -- the differences between still and sparkling cider?! Are you putting us on, sir? If not...well, it's your time, your money, your risk, and your loss. But I would strongly encourage you to set aside your enthusiasm for a moment, zoom aaaall the way out, and take a good, hard look at the big picture. You could indeed have a long, prosperous future as a brewer ahead of you, but I suspect it might be a little early for grandiose plans just yet. Remember: even if you make the best damned cider anybody's ever tasted, that's only one tiny part of the business.

Best of luck to you, friend. I sincerely hope for your success.

I'll go in the spirit that you can make a great hard cider. Carbonation - IMHO is the final step and something that's done once the Cider is ready to drink. So if you are kegging and sending, presumably you are sending a keg that is full of cider and no oxygen. Upon reaching it's destination, that keg would be force carbonated and served based on local preference.

So no, carbonation is not required, and can be added at any time before serving.

I'll go in the spirit that you can make a great hard cider. Carbonation - IMHO is the final step and something that's done once the Cider is ready to drink. So if you are kegging and sending, presumably you are sending a keg that is full of cider and no oxygen. Upon reaching it's destination, that keg would be force carbonated and served based on local preference.

So no, carbonation is not required, and can be added at any time before serving.
thank you for your input, that was the understanding that i had.

Back