Cider backsweetening experiment using fruit syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kXb

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At the first of June, I started a 5g batch of apple cider using Red Star Cote Des Blancs yeast. It's in secondary now waiting to clear. Once it's clear I plan on dosing with potassium sorbate and campden tablets then backsweetening.

I know many people use juice concentrate, honey, brown sugar, crushed fruit, etc etc to backsweeten. I am thinking about doing 5 1g jug experiments as follows:

No additional sweeteners
Apple juice concentrate
Raspberry simple syrup
Blueberry simple syrup
Cherry simple syrup

Has anyone ever tried the simple syrup method? If so, please share your findings. General comments are welcome as well.

Thanks

The simple syrup is basically the same as a priming sugar but more concentrated. The downside to this is that it is hard to ensure even distribution during priming as it's much thicker and will tend to stick together rather than mix throughout the cider.

I use simple syrups from honeysuckle, rose and elderflower in my ciders, but always at the front end. Let us know how it turns out. I don't usually backsweeten, but would give it a try.

Back