Cider at Low Temp Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argyle

Reaction score
My cider has been fermenting at 52-54 degrees for the past month! I didn't know WLP 004 could keep going at this temp for so long!

I used this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/grahams-english-cider-107152

Graham's English Cider
5 gallons Treetop (or equivalent) Apple Juice
4 black teabags (English or Irish Breakfast)
3 key limes (or one regular lime)
1 pack s-04 yeast (I Substituted WLP 004 - Irish ALe Yeast)[/B

I added the yeast when the juice was about 68 degees and let it ferment for a day before moving it to my basement. The thermometer stuck on the outside of the carboy has been reading about 52-54 degrees for the past month. The tiny bubbles rising through the liquid and the slight foam on top are signs of active fermentation!

I am just amazed that the Irish Ale Yeast is chugging away at such low temps for so long and has not tuckered out. There is a massive amount of lees or trub, whatever you want to call it, at the bottom of the carboy.

My point for sharing this is just amazement! Has anyone fermented cider at low temps? How did it turn out?

Low temps is my preferred way of making cider. Most of mine go 3-6 weeks and occasionally longer. It's all about the balance between slowing the yeast down and the level of nutrients in the juice. Using juice from another orchard may well have resulted in a stalled fermentation since the nitrogen level may have been significantly lower as a result of different orchard fertilizing practices.

Thanks! Good Information. I never thought of the fertilizing regimen influencing the fermentation activity this much. Now that you pointed it out, it makes so much sense.

So by fermenting cold, I might have been doing something that will produce a better cider!

Do you work at Bellwether? Just curious. My wife and I used to travel to the Finger Lakes region (we haven't been there in three years since my wife became prgnant with our first) and might have been to your establishment!

Yeah, I'm the cidermaker's assistant, but you can find me in the tasting room occasionally (and on HBT while on lunch break ;)). Maybe we've met before!

Is slower, cooler fermentation better? What affect on taste?

LeBreton said:
Yeah, I'm the cidermaker's assistant, but you can find me in the tasting room occasionally (and on HBT while on lunch break ;)). Maybe we've met before!

I want that job!

Back