Cider airlock behaving like a vacuum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjeanean

Reaction score
Instead of releasing gas, my airlock is doing the reverse--it seems like the must is trying to draw air IN. What is going on???

A vacuum is created when the wort is getting cooler.
Example... you chilled the wort after boiling down to say 80 F.
You put it into chest freezer or whatever you use as a chamber... for the first several-several hours it will create a small vacuum.
Temperature changes is the only possible way a vacuum can be created.

^this. Also make sure your yeast is working by taking a hydrometer reading. During active fermentation there’s usually enough co2 being produced to account for small temp changes.

This is with a cider?? Which I assume you did NOT boil?

What type of air lock? How big is the container? Post a pic

I think it's stopped for now, still monitoring like crazy. It's a 5-gallon water jug, three piece standard bell airlock with a drilled #10 bung. I've noticed the vacuum effect with the temperature change, but in this case, I have a heater in the closet and everything is room temperature. I'm trying to restart a stuck fermentation, racked to secondary and added a bit more yeast and some nutrient. Right about the time the yeast ring appeared on the surface, airlock started acting up. Sorry I missed the replies, I was trying to keep the airlock liquid from getting sucked backwards! Kinda wondering if the yeast was drawing in the oxygen faster than crapping gas bubbles? I don't know, it's super weird!

Yeast get oxygen from the liquid not oxygen in the air. Like a fish...in a way.
The only way a vacuum can be created in a sealed container is temperature change. Only way.
Now... you say a 5 gallon water jug... is it plastic? It is possible when you were handling it you created a dent in it, and it slowly started to poke back out. That would certainly create a vacuum.

I was counting the air bubbles in the airlock (I keep track to get an idea of how everything is progressing), and halfway through the bubble, the bell suddenly sank and was pulled down. The liquid inside the bell started rising and I lifted it to release the suction before anything ended up in the brew. Had to do that several more times, then it just switched over to bubbling again. It's plastic, and I learned the hard way with my very first cider attempt NOT to touch the bottle unless the airlock bell was removed first!

There's about 4 gallons with one gallon of headspace, maybe the headspace cooled suddenly? It was the weirdest thing, especially with how quickly it happened then stopped. I'll be calm enough to take a video if it happens again, I kinda freaked out about the airlock liquid ending up contaminating the inside because this is a time-sensitive batch and losing it would be very unfortunate. I didn't even think about pictures! 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Back