Cicerone lvl 1 test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadozen

Reaction score
I plan on taking the Cicerone certified beer server test around the end of this month woke on vacation. Anyone else take it and can give me some pointers? Anything in hindsight you would have studied up on had you realized they covered it or anything else like that?

If you are a well versed beer lover and you know your beer styles you will be fine. I passed the test first time with no studying. It's multiple choice which helps.

Hardest questions for me where the few that related to alcohol laws in bars and restaurants. After all it is a "server" test. Would say it was 60% beer related and 40% service industry related. But even half of the server ones were commonsense...like "If a customer ordered a bottle of beer and before pouring you noticed the bottle was chipped would you: continue to pour, get a new bottle, etc.

Some questions related to beer lines too...regarding serving pressure, etc.

You only need 75% to pass, so give it a go! Good luck!

Last edited:
The keg related questions are what have me worried my background is already on the service industry.have you done the level 2 test yet, or plan to?

I talked with a bartender at Buffalo Wild Wings couple years ago. She was studying for the test. They are all required to pass the entry level cicerone test within so much time of being hired. She asked me a few questions and as I recall they seemed very easy. I think anyone well versed in homebrewing or beer styles in general should have no problem leafing through the study guide and acing the test.

I remember she asked what beer style Newcastle was and the choice was obvious when she listed the multiple choice options. She was impressed that I knew there were two distinct English Brown Ale styles, but I wasn't sure if Newcastle was Northern, or Southern style English Brown.

Hmm, thanks for the responses guys. So I take it the test was at least written so that the Newcastle question had both southern and northern as possible answers or did you answer of the top before she read them only to find out they had like iipa, saisson, hefe or THIS IS CLEARLY THE ANSWER.
Without going to Google I'll guess Newcastle is southern?
Edit: I were wrong, damn. When wifey gets home I'll download the syllabus and all the study guide stuff. Half won't download to my phone and going over stuff on this thing is just BS.

Hmm, thanks for the responses guys. So I take it the test was at least written so that the Newcastle question had both southern and northern as possible answers or did you answer of the top before she read them only to find out they had like iipa, saisson, hefe or THIS IS CLEARLY THE ANSWER.
Without going to Google I'll guess Newcastle is southern?
Edit: I were wrong, damn. When wifey gets home I'll download the syllabus and all the study guide stuff. Half won't download to my phone and going over stuff on this thing is just BS.

One possible answer was English Brown. I added the fact that there were actually two distinct English Brown styles. The other possible answers were so obviously wrong it was funny.

The keg related questions are what have me worried my background is already on the service industry.have you done the level 2 test yet, or plan to?

Doubt I will do level two. Just a home brewer, don't work in the industry, so no real need. Only took entry level test because it was on sale one time for only $10. If anything, would like to work on Beer Judge exam!

Back