"Chunky" WLP002 -- is that right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a RIS, and since it's my first "big" beer I thought I'd better make a starter. I made a stir plate and a starter and put my WLP002 in it. When I went to pour in the vial, the yeast was a solid lump and it fell out in one chunk, which I have never seen before. I put it on my stir plate and everything looked good, I let it spin for 24h and it smelled yeasty so I threw it in the fridge to cold-crash overnight. When I went to use it, I decanted it and the yeast cake at the bottom was hard and firm again. I wound up using a spoon to dig it out. I checked this morning and my blow-off tube was bubbling, but not the serious glad-I-used-a-blowoff-tube kind of bubbling I was expecting.

My question is: is this normal for WLP002? Now that I think about it, I should probably check my fridge and see if it's acting up, is it possible this is due to the yeast being too cold? I have an old mini-fridge and it's never been very enthusiastic about getting real cold, but maybe I should check anyway...

It's a pretty floculant yeast - ie it clumps together. It should produce a nice, compact cake.

Did you swirl it up before pitching or just spoon it out? You really should have given it a good shake to get it back in suspension.

In my experience WLP002 and WLP007 are similar strains and absolutely are clumpy strains of yeast. I run into that every time I use either of them.

WLP002 (same as WY1968) floc's like crazy. Sometimes I'll give it a (gentle) stir while near the end of fermentation to keep it going. Raise the temp a couple of degrees near the end can help too. I like to start at 66-68F and move up to 70-72 at the end.

Kal

When I went to use it, I decanted it and the yeast cake at the bottom was hard and firm again. I wound up using a spoon to dig it out.

I decant all but a little bit of the starter beer and use that to swirl the yeast back into solution. Never have had to use a spoon on any yeast to loosen it. Some beers are a little slower to start than others. Given that you have action I wouldn't worry about the fact that it's not majorly blowing off.

I had the same reaction the first time I used WLP002. In my experience, yes it is lumpy/clumpy. Flocs like crazy, love that yeast!

Well, looks like i needn't have worried. Just got home toan overflowing blowoff jar and a bulging fermenter lid. I stuck the fermenter into a cooler and added water and ice, hopefully I'll avoid a real mess. After cleaning the airlock holding my blowoff three times I've decided to just stick the tube directly into the grommet and use some tape to seal it up.

Back