Chunky Sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tale Of An Ale

Reaction score
ok this was the first time i racked from a primary fermenter to a secondary and as i was finishing siphoning over my "Wild Worthog Hefeweizen" i notice that the sediment at the bottom was very "chunky" and gritty. Sense this is my second batch that i've brewed and my first time racking over to a secondary i am worried about this "chunky" sediment and how it has/could affect my beer. For a little insight on fermenting conditions, i let the hefeweizen ferment in a 7.5 gallon food grade plastic bucket at about 74 degrees for 7 days.

any advice or comments are appreciated!

Brew on!!:mug:

thanks for clearing that up for me... i'm always concerned about my beer and its quality lol. And i have heard of reusing yeast over and over for future batches but i know you need to use certain yeast for certain beers and i rather not risk using dead yeast for any future batches until i become more acclimated with brewing. oh and believe me i made sure i didn't siphon over any of that sediment.

Just a tip, Hefe's usually don't benefit from any type of extended aging or conditioning, in fact, they can loose some of their character over time. Hefe's should be cloudy with suspended yeast. I prefer to primary my Hefe's for 2-3 weeks max and then keg, carb and enjoy them young.

John

thanks for the tip and believe me i'm not the kind of person thats willing to let beer age longer than it has to. When its done, its gone.... well not that fast but beer is meant to be consumed and enjoyed, not stared at while it grows old.

The trub varies. I've had some that looked like an explosion in a taffy factory and others more like very thin pancake batter.

Back