Chunky Saflager 34/70?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmd1971

Reaction score
Hi, I pitched Saflager 34/70 into a pilsner yesterday & today there are large clumps of what look like soaked bread floating in the carboy. I'm new to lagers but this seems odd to me. Has anyone else experienced this? There were no odd ingredients - it was an extract batch. 1# Vienna & 6.6# Pilsner LME. Now at around 50 degrees. Very straightforward recipe but the huge floating globs are making me nervous. No bubbling in the blow off yet but the globs have started surfacing from the bottom. Just doesn't appear as normal krausen I've had in my ale fermentations....

Help!!

Ok, so now its 36 hours later & the thick, bread-like chunks have spread out over the surface. Just odd as it doesn't appear like any krausen I've seen on ales ever. Maybe these lager yeasts act differently. I've attached a pic, too. Also, after watching for 3-4 minutes, I did not see any bubbling in the blow off tube whatsoever. I would think after 36 hours I should see something, no?

Should I be concerned at this point?

IMG_0427.jpg

Someone at the local HB store suggested crashing the temp into the high 30's low 40's whereas its now around 50-52. Would anyone recommend this? I don't want to go to cold & mess things up somehow....

Someone at the local HB store suggested crashing the temp into the high 30's low 40's whereas its now around 50-52. Would anyone recommend this? I don't want to go to cold & mess things up somehow....

No, don't do that. 45-50 is good temps for a lager. Let it ferment out at that temp for 3 weeks, raise to 60 for 2 days, then bottle/keg. It's going to be fine, and stop worrying. Go play some tennis or something.

Thanks, passedpawn! Sometimes just need reassurance - you know, you spend time doing the brewing, you want it all to work out. Once I have a few lagers under my belt, I'll chill. Been doing ales for years, but just thought I'd try while the weather is amenable.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated!

Hmm did you pitch 1 packet or 2? I always do 2 packets of 34/70, and I get fermentation started within 24 hours or so. Pitching at 60F and then dropping to 50F might have shocked the yeast.

Open up the carboy and smell it. Does it smell like wort, or like young beer? If you any whiff of CO2, then you are good to go.

BTW, recipe selection and yeast seem like a great combo. Hope this turns out great for you!!

Back