Chunky beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximustraicos

Reaction score
So I decided to try dry hopping a 5gal batch of pale with 1.5 oz citra. Great idea right? So I opened my fermenter and chucked in my hopps, it was at that point I thought hmm maybe I should have put them into something first as they are pellets and I can't just pick them out when I'm done.

So my question is, will my beer be good with chunks of hopps floating in it or should I consider trying to filter them out with something as I transfer to the bottling bucket?

Yup, not a concern. It'll help if you're able to cold-crash the beer before you rack it from the carboy, but you'll find most of them will settle on the bottom, while a few may float on top. Just make sure you siphon from a few inches below the surface and you should have clear beer with no chunkies.

If they don't settle like they should, get a 1 gallon paint strainer bag and slip the siphon in that, holding the bag in place with a rubber band wrapped around it. Make sure you sanitize it before you dunk it into the fermenter to start siphoning.

Thanks for the tips guys, I was also wondering if its such a bad thing to have hops floating around in my final product? I might call it Von chunks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back