Chugger Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bornandraisedlv

Reaction score
So today was my first all grain brew day and found out when I went to recirc my mash that my pump wasn’t working.

Pulled the head off and the magnet will spin about a half turn and then binds up a little. I set the magnet to right where it frees up from the binding and turned the pump on and it would spin right that point and then stop.

I bought this used from these forums so I can’t send it back for replacement. Just hoping it’s an easy fix.

Try to see if one of the rear fan blade is hanging up on something. Also drop a few drops of oil in the oiling port. If that doesn't do it, you are out of luck.

Yeah that was the first thing I did was look to see if the fan was hanging up on something. It doesn’t seem to be hanging up on the housing at all. Will try some oil but not sure that’s going to cut it. Thanks for the suggestions.

If you can get it "stuck" again use that to then check back/forth while eyeballing the cage on the back. The only time I've seen that is when the fan blade is slightly bent and as it turns it comes into contact with the cage/shell.

If that's not it, and the head is already off i'd fear something internally with the windings/armature is catching. I don't think it's possible to open it up any further to investigate.

Back