chugger pump parts available?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
I have been using 2 stainless Chugger Pumps in my home brewery for almost 2 years. They each have the same numbers of hours on them. Recently, they have both been susceptible to chattering when the output valve is closed down at all. These pumps have never been dry-run. This is a new development as of my last few brew days. I take my pumps apart after every brew day and clean/dry them. I've noticed that the pair of thrust washers in the pump head seems quite worn. Would this cause the chattering I'm hearing? Does Chugger Pumps sell or offer service kits for these heads? (Replacing both washers in each pump head) If so I'd like to get 2 kits. Also, I would like to get two new silicone head gaskets.

Maybe I should also say that I attempted to write them through the "contact us" section of their website. Their inbox must be full because the email bounced back. I then directly emailed them through the address listed on the website.... nothing but crickets chirping so far...

Have you ever oiled your pumps? I know mine were acting up a little and the oil seemed to take care of it. Your situations sounds a little different since you are seeing worn parts, but just figured I would throw that out there. You can use a standard household oil (sae 30 IIRC) and there is a port on top towards the back.

Good point about oiling the pumps. I have the motor oil and just need to put a few drops in there. Thanks for the reminder.
However, I really don't think this is coming from the back end of the motor. All the noise seems to be coming from the pump head.

Is anyone from Chugger Pumps still hanging out here on the forum? I know back a when I bought mine 1.5-2 years ago, they had just released the "Gen 3" pump and that's when I bought mine.

Thanks for working with me Bobby! I look forward to reporting back as to weather this solved the issue or not! (I hope so)

I just received my pump from Bobby today. Great customer service and quick delivery time. I can't wait to try it out.

This apparently did the job. It drastically reduced the chatter from the pump heads. I still have had a little chatter if I slow the flow too fast, but it's just a matter of a quick adjustment on flow rate and it's gone. And, it doesn't happen every time like it was before.

I'm still concerned about the lack of presence from Chugger Pumps. What happened? They used to be so quick to help their customers...

Thanks Bobby for jumping in and helping me out.

I need the gasket that goes around the outside of the metal head of the chugger pump where the housing meets the pump head. How do I get that?

Back