Chugger Pump Head - PP vs SS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btaz

Reaction score
I've been looking around for differences between the plastic and stainless heads on the chugger pumps. Of course most people say go with the stainless, but I've yet to see any rational for it other than fear that the plastic might break (haven't seen anyone actually report one breaking).

I'm looking to hear from those that have plastic heads or have converted from plastic to stainless what their experiences are.

You have to try realllllly hard to strip a stainless thread. That said I have PP heads on my LG pumps. They do move a bit. I'd like to tighten them up, but don't want to risk stripping the thread.

I have the plastic head on my chugger pump, didn't have any issues threading the fittings on and have had zero issues with it. I bought it thinking I'd upgrade to a SS head at some point but I'm happy with it so far.

I get reports of the plastic head getting broken for goofy reasons but they are pretty rare. About twice as often, someone with cross thread the ball valve onto the threads.

There are two types of plastic in this world...

Plastic that is broken and plastic that is going to break.

I tried to be careful and cross-threaded mine right out of the gate. I backed off of it once, started again, ruined. I'm still an idiot, but I'd say just for peace of mind re: toughness that it's worth going stainless.

Latest posts

Back