Chugger Pump: Center or Inline?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiquidFlame

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Planning on buying two chugger pumps, but really torn if I should go with the inline or center head. I've done some searching and really haven't found much. The only thing I've found is that the center head is supposed to help prevent cavitation, but I don't exactly like having to go from 3/4" to 1/2". Does the center head really have much of an advantage over the inline?

Thanks.

Go center inlet. It will prime easier as well. I have used both and prefer the center inlet.

So do you just use a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer and then just screw on say a F type QD? Also just a note, with the way I plan on having my connections, I plan on having a SS "T" connected to the inlet side of the pumps. With that said, am I really going to be saving any drag of the flow of my liquids with getting a center inlet head?

I use a 3/4" elbow to a reducer to a F camlock. It's up to you but I would rather use a center inlet. Even with the elbow and reducer it still primes easier.

+1...the inline ones are a PITA to prime sometimes. It gets easier once you get the hang of it, but IMHO that's just one more thing to fiddle with. Trying to regain prime in the middle of a brew with a hot pump and QD's is no fun.

Latest posts

Back