Chugger Pump and Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions about chugger pump location on a brew stand.

1. My pump was originally positioned at the very the bottom of my three tier rig with the mash tun on top. I use a rims tube. The pump seems to struggle in this location as it moves the wort up through the rims tube, and then up again to the mash tun. In fact, the wort was coming out of the pump all foamy. Am I correct that the foamy wort is a sign that the pump is working too hard?

2. I tried a higher up location. This seemed to improve my recirculation during the mash, but then I ran into a different problem. In this new location, my HLT is below the pump. When I tried to sparge, even after "priming" the pump, it would not start suction until I removed the pump and moved it below the HLT (essentially where it originally was and where it was causing my mash recirculation issue). So, my second question is whether it is possible to place your chugger pump above the liquid source?

Bobby, if you're out there, I'd be particularly curious to see what you have to say!!

Back