Chronic infection problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archthered

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about 4 years now and have much of my process down. Until recently I only had one infection in that time. However recently I haven't been able to make anything without it getting infected. The first one I figured was just a fluke, some say everyone get's one now and again so I didn't think much of it, just bleached the hell out of everything.

But then I made two more batches, more or less at the same time, and they both ended up infected. :mad: My fermentation chamber can hold two batches but only if I have at least one in a bucket instead of a carboy so I often do primary in a bucket then secondary in a carboy. I figured the infection was caused by my buckets, after all I am still using the same buckets I got when I started almost 4 years ago and it is well known that over time they develop small scratches etc that bacteria can hide in. OK so I threw out the old buckets and got new.

But then I made two more batches, one in an unused bucket and the other in a carboy, both cleaned with bleach, left to dry (over a day before brewing), and then cleaned with Star San just before use. As you probably guessed both got an infection. :( Well technically I'm not sure about the one in the bucket, I haven't tried it but the krausen looks weird, almost like it has dust or something on it, so either Omega's Wit yeast makes some really weird kausen or it's infected.

I have no real idea what the source of the infection is :confused: and I would like any help anyone may have in figuring this out. I am going to make a couple of suggestions/guesses, but feel free to disagree/tell me the idea is nuts and suggest things I haven't thought of.

The only three post boil things that have been the same are the wort chiller, the fermentation chamber, and the temperature probe. The chiller seems like a highly unlikely source since it goes in the boiling wort for like 15 minutes before being used and it's copper which is antimicrobial all on its own. I really don't know how the fermentation chamber could cause an infection all on its own, I did use open fermentation for two of the infected batches but the two most recent were completely sealed. Additionally I have sanitized my chamber with bleach after each infection and before the last two I took straight bleach and poured and rubbed it into every crack, crevasse, and surface it has.

This leaves the temperature probe/control, I have never heard of a temperature probe as being a source of infection but to be honest this makes more sense than any of the other options. I have a 12" stainless probe, I either put the probe straight in the wort if it cooled to close to pitching temp or hang it in the chamber to gradually cool the wort to pitching temp if it's high (it tends to over cool if I don't do this), then sanitize and put it in the wort. While I have soaked it in Star San for a prolonged period I have not bleached or boiled it partially because I never considered this as a source of infection but also I was worried about damaging the probe.

Quite literally the only other thing I can think of is the Star San and I know even suggesting that borders on heresy, but I'm out of other ideas. I am still using the first container of Star San I ever ordered, like 3 years old, but I also know that there are threads with reports of people using Star San that is literally twice that old so age is probably not the issue. However this does not mean Star San is not the issue, I have been keeping the Star San in my garage in an old distilled water jug. I wonder if a combination of heat and UV may have essentially destroyed my Star San. I could not find any past threads suggesting this is possible but I didn't find much that even discussed it, though it's possible that has to do with the key words I searched for.

I am going to do another massive purge and clean, tossing anything plastic etc and boiling and bleaching everything else but the reality is I've already done most of that and one batch didn't touch anything plastic after the boil and still ended up infected.

Anyway this whole situation has left me :mad::mad: :confused: :( For the love of beer I will appreciate any help dealing with this situation. Thanks

Hi. After you thoroughly clean, bleach, and rinse everything (to include bungs, grommets, bubblers, etc.,) I'd definitely mix up a new batch of Starsan in a new container. You are correct that unmixed Starsan (in its original container) will keep a very long time, especially if stored in a cool/dark place. It's been my experience that the thin plastic water jugs you get at the store don't make very good storage jugs for mixed Starsan...they seemed to always develop leaks. I prefer to use the really heavy plastic gallon jugs I get with Costco Apple Cider. Anyway, I wish you the best in finding and defeating the little nasties causing you these problems. I know it's really frustrating. Ed
:mug:

When you said you tossed everything plastic, did that include racking cane, tubing, etc.? I was just reading Charlie P. today and he says that any discoloration/staining in plastic equipment is grounds for disposal, esp. racking cane/tubing. Just mention this because I've been having a similar problem as yours and noted my tubing -- although I thoroughly clean and sanitize before each use -- is stained a light amber color, so OUT it goes.

From what I've read, mixed star san has a limited shelf life. Maybe a few months at best.

As another poster alluded to , If you have a ph meter you can test it. If the ph is 3 or lower it is still good.

Quote from northern brewer site http://www.northernbrewer.com/star-san:
a solution of Star San will remain effective for up to three to four weeks in a sealed container; it is effective as long as the pH is 3 or lower.

If I were you, I would dump the Starsan and get some new. Also, have you cleaned the ball valve (if you have one on your kettle) and any valves on buckets you may use? If your starsan is 3 yrs old and kept in your garage I would suspect it's no longer viable. You can always check with a ph meter if you have one.

I have Starsan that's two years old but is kept in my house, in a closet and the original container it came in. Still good.

Its 3 year old mixed star san? do you have anyway to test the ph of it? that's how you can tell if its still viable.

The concentrate is 3 years old not the mix, in fact I used a fresh mix (but same jug) for one of the recent batches.

When you said you tossed everything plastic, did that include racking cane, tubing, etc.? I was just reading Charlie P. today and he says that any discoloration/staining in plastic equipment is grounds for disposal, esp. racking cane/tubing. Just mention this because I've been having a similar problem as yours and noted my tubing -- although I thoroughly clean and sanitize before each use -- is stained a light amber color, so OUT it goes.

I didn't throw out anything but the buckets yet, I plan on throwing it all out even the racking cane but the reality is the batch that is in my new bucket never touched anything plastic other than the new bucket and the last batch in carboy the only plastic it touched was the funnel to get it from kettle to carboy. While it's probably possible to get an infection from a funnel I have to imagine the likelihood is low, however the funnel and cane will be part of the purge.

From what I've read, mixed star san has a limited shelf life. Maybe a few months at best.

As another poster alluded to , If you have a ph meter you can test it. If the ph is 3 or lower it is still good.

I do not have any pH testing supplies, I have never really bothered with testing Star San since I typically under dilute and don't reuse anything I poured out of the mixing jug.

If I were you, I would dump the Starsan and get some new. Also, have you cleaned the ball valve (if you have one on your kettle) and any valves on buckets you may use? If your starsan is 3 yrs old and kept in your garage I would suspect it's no longer viable. You can always check with a ph meter if you have one.

I have Starsan that's two years old but is kept in my house, in a closet and the original container it came in. Still good.

I'm definitely getting rid of the Star San, just in case. I'd like to figure out exactly what the issue is just so I can take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm not dead set on keeping my Star San in the garage so if heat or UV can degrade it I'm all about moving it but since it's more convenient and no one has suggested those things hurt it I'm not sure about moving it.

I hadn't thought about the ball valve, I always run clean water through before and after a batch but I never thought sanitizing it, I always figured it got enough heat from the boil to kill an infection.

Thank you all for your comments and please keep your ideas coming!

The concentrate is 3 years old not the mix, in fact I used a fresh mix (but same jug) for one of the recent batches.

I didn't throw out anything but the buckets yet, I plan on throwing it all out even the racking cane but the reality is the batch that is in my new bucket never touched anything plastic other than the new bucket and the last batch in carboy the only plastic it touched was the funnel to get it from kettle to carboy. While it's probably possible to get an infection from a funnel I have to imagine the likelihood is low, however the funnel and cane will be part of the purge.

I do not have any pH testing supplies, I have never really bothered with testing Star San since I typically under dilute and don't reuse anything I poured out of the mixing jug.

I'm definitely getting rid of the Star San, just in case. I'd like to figure out exactly what the issue is just so I can take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm not dead set on keeping my Star San in the garage so if heat or UV can degrade it I'm all about moving it but since it's more convenient and no one has suggested those things hurt it I'm not sure about moving it.

I hadn't thought about the ball valve, I always run clean water through before and after a batch but I never thought sanitizing it, I always figured it got enough heat from the boil to kill an infection.

Thank you all for your comments and please keep your ideas coming!

If you have a 3 pc ball valve, take it apart. the ball and plastic pieces can get pretty gunked up. I clean mine about every three-four brew's and soak in Oxy for a few hours then rinse and re-install.

Back