Chrome/Brass Faucets and Metalic tastes

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BBBF

Reaction score
Last weekend, I picked up a box of "junk" at a garage for $1.00. In this box were sets of faucets, shanks, sanke pump and some other strange faucet. My thought was to make a portable kegerator for my two 3 gallon kegs. I took them home and started cleaning them (they were very dirty) and I realized the faucets have some pitting and the insides are all brass.

Now I know I can replace the shaft with a stainless steel one, but is it needed for a portable draft system that is only hooked up for a day or weekend at most? Does the metalic tast come from sitting on the brass for an extended period or will the beer pick it up faster?

cutter22

Reaction score
I posted a similar question in the kegging section. Basically i have some shanks and faucets that i just got used and the plating is worn out where there is liquid contact. I am wondering if this will change the taste of the beer and whether it has any ill health effects. If i get any info ill definitely pass it along.

mitch171

Reaction score
I use a brass un-plated stout faucet for all of my beers. So little of the beer is staying in contact for any time length. I have never noticed a taste or anything.