Christmas Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFidget

Reaction score
Okay folks, be gentle...here's my first post; and it has to be a question. (Great, right?) :confused: If this is in the wrong section, please let me know.

I want to brew a strong (around 9%) Holiday beer and have been doing small all-grain batches for a short while (last 4 or so), but I've never done anything as strong as the one I've got here. It's based on a St. Arnold clone recipe I found and have adjusted to, I hope, be similar to what I see SteamWorks Blitzen to be. It is a Belgian Tripel and I'm just not sure here. I've heard that high gravity beers can get stuck and this is the first time I'll use Candi sugar in my recipe. So, below is the grain bill; does this sound right? Any suggested warnings or changes?

7# 12 oz Pilsner (Bel)
8.5 oz Caravienne
6.5 oz Munich
3.5 oz Caramunich
3.5 oz Special B
4.0 oz Candi Sugar - Clear

.57 oz Sterling Hops (30 min)
.25 oz Fuggles (at flameout)

Wyeast #1388 (Belgian Strong Ale yeast)

You can skip the candy sugar and just use regular table sugar. Belgian candy sugar is simply the cheap sugar they had at the time in Belgium to increase gravity of their beers and make them more attenuating.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What is the batch size for this recipe?

Also, I'm confused about the recipe. You said you wanted something similar to the Steamworks Blitzen. Their website only lists Pilsner malt and candi sugar as their fermentables.

To prevent beers from getting stuck it is important to aerate the wort before pitching and pitch the proper amount of yeast.

Thanks for the replies. I am planning to do a small 2.5 gallon batch with table sugar rather than the candi sugar. Though it won't be any less work, if I mess this up, I'm not out too much. Besides, i have more fun brewing than drinking anyway. As for the yeast, I'll pitch a full pack.

I do see that Blitzen only lists Pilsner malt. I was thinking it was more in the style of a tripel and a single malt just didnt sound right. You think I'm going off the deep end here? I'm open to suggestions.

Tripels are pretty basic with the yeast and high carbonation doing the magic.

The last tripel I brewed was about 76% Pilsner Malt, 4% Unmalted Wheat and 20% Beet Sugar.

I used Tettnanger Hops with a 60 minute addition to get 34 IBU's

I used 3787 yeast with a 1500ml starter that I cold crashed and pitched the slurry. Started fermentation at 68 degrees and let it rise to 72.

Carbonated to about 3.75 volumes using corked 750ml bottles. Added new 3787 yeast at bottling to ensure good carbonation.

Gave a xmas gifts to friends and family and they loved it.

Back