Christmas Present ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
Im a new brewer. I have my second batch currently bottled (only 2 days ago). However, I am really enjoying this hobby and want to further my abilities in it. With that said, a lot of fun stuff is expensive. Luckily, my family has been constantly asking me what I would like for Christmas. What would you have wanted as a new brewer? what I'm really asking is help me make like a dream wish list for brewing!!! i know i want more things, but i don't want to buy stupid stuff.

Thanks!

Im a new brewer. I have my second batch currently bottled (only 2 days ago). However, I am really enjoying this hobby and want to further my abilities in it. With that said, a lot of fun stuff is expensive. Luckily, my family has been constantly asking me what I would like for Christmas. What would you have wanted as a new brewer? what I'm really asking is help me make like a dream wish list for brewing!!! i know i want more things, but i don't want to buy stupid stuff.

Thanks!

a bag from Wilserbrewer?

X 2 on a good digital therm

You have a hydrometer, right

Maybe a refractometer for brew day gravities ( prior to any alcohol presence

A Wilser Bag :)

It's a new brewer. As a member of that club, allow me to recommend more than one hyrdrometer. Fragile puppies they are.

Autosiphon.
"How To Brew", "Brew Classic Styles", other books.

Sorry haha, you're right, that would be helpful. I have a hydrometer, two mr beer kits that I use for fermenters, some plastic coke bottles I use for bottling, an stc 1000, a chest freezer. That's about it. I just use a normal pot on brew days, I only make 2 gallon batches.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Subscription to BYO

Subscription to American Homebrewers Association (This includes Magazine and access to past magazine issues)

Subscription to Brewer's Friend or other beer recipe software.

Sorry haha, you're right, that would be helpful. I have a hydrometer, two mr beer kits that I use for fermenters, some plastic coke bottles I use for bottling, an stc 1000, a chest freezer. That's about it. I just use a normal pot on brew days, I only make 2 gallon batches.

If you are doing or are going to do all grain... and two gallon batches... like me :D.. then yes.. look into BIAB if that isn't your current method... and get a nice bag... I have one of those already mentioned! They are great.

If you're sticking with small batches, kegs and tank and regulator if you're going to move up to 5 gallon batches, kegs, tank and regulator.
I have never bottled anything more than 12 at a time and with the extra time it takes I never will. The only Time I do is if I need to get a keg emptied or if I have brewed something that I want to try as a marinade.

PS. I was lucky when I got started my wife bought me most everything I needed to brew and keg and bottle including several books for Christmas. Must have cost a small fortune. The only thing that I had to get was the bk. Fortunately for me I went a few days after Christmas and picked up a 7 gallon pot with no box or label all stainless for around $20 and have been brewing since.
I see several people say digital thermometer, never understood the need, my analog works fine and is only a couple of bucks to replace should I do something careless with it. I do have to wear glasses to read it but with the cost difference it's worth it. I also don't know if you really need a hydrometer. I'm still on my first. (Knock on wood ). Just take your time prepping and brewing, have everything laid out in order and a clean container 9f sanitizer ready to put the hydrometer in and it will last you.

pS I just wish she liked beer... my wife still kicks ass.

Beersmith, in my opinion, is not only cool, but a necessity.

Beersmith is a definite necessity in my book. It allows you to brew YOUR beer designed by YOU in addition to standard clone / other peoples recipes. Another idea, ask for different commercial beers. This way you can try what is out there and see what you may like that you have never had and more importantly, get you some bottles so you can give up those Coke bottles you are bottling in.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you see yourself going to 5 gallons I would say get equipment to bring it all outside, Turkey fryer / blichmann burner and bigger kettle

A nice kettle if you don't already have one.
Good Thermometer (Therampen)
Chiller
Grain Crusher
BIAB Bag
Autosiphon

The list can be long. I'd say if you are interested in going the extra step into All Grain, a BIAB bag is a great option. They are not very expensive and you can save a few dollars over the cost of extract. If you ask for a grain mill too, you can buy grain in bulk and mill it to your preference and save even more.

A nice kettle and a good thermometer are also nice options. I use turkey fryers and converted kegs, but I think I'd prefer a plain Stainless Kettle in the 10 gallon size for my 5 gallon batches. If you are going to continue brewing 2 gallon batches, you should be able to find a really nice kettle for not a lot of $$. Add a weldless spigot and a pickup tube and you are in business.

Thanks very much. I am asking for bottles and a capper. The coke bottles are great because they were going to be trash anyway. Once I have the capper, I'll start saving old beer bottles to reuse. What exactly is a kettle? Right now I just use a big pot on my stove.

Yeah, hard to say given we don't know what you have or what your goals are. That being said, I'll just tell you what I've bought over the last year after I bought my starter kit: wort chiller (a big, big help - especially in the summer), a bigger stainless steel kettle so I can do full boils, a second secondary fermenter so I can have multiple beers aging at once, a yeast starter kit, a bottling tree, an aeration system and a double-mesh stainless steel strainer.

Thanks very much. I am asking for bottles and a capper. The coke bottles are great because they were going to be trash anyway. Once I have the capper, I'll start saving old beer bottles to reuse. What exactly is a kettle? Right now I just use a big pot on my stove.

Coke bottles are fine, but keep them out of sunlight or florescent light to avoid skunking (once they are filled with beer...)

In general a "kettle" is the boil kettle. I use a turkey fryer or a half-barrel keg with the top cut out. Many people buy a large Stainless or aluminum kettle (a couple of gallons larger than your maximum batch size.)

A Hot Liquor Tank can also be a kettle, but most people call them an HLT if they have one. You may not need or want an HLT if you are doing BIAB. I usually use one for sparging (rinsing the wort from the grains after lifting the bag out of the boil kettle (and in this case mash tun too...)

The process of BIAB could be as simple as this:

Crush grain.
Heat water in Boil Kettle
Mix crushed grain with water in boil kettle lined with a mesh bag
Wait 60 minutes keeping temp at about 152-156F (This is mashing, or more technically the Mash Rest)
Lift bag and drain
Turn up the heat and boil, adding hops and stuff

If you were to sparge, then after lifting bag and draining you could dunk the bag in another pot of water to further rinse the sugars creating a more dilute wort and then adding that to the boil kettle. This is a more efficient method, grain-wise, but adds a step and a vessel. You don't have to sparge if you spend a few more $$ on grain to make up the efficiency difference.

Back