Christmas mead for next year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea25

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Lalvin D-47
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity: N/A
Final Gravity: N/A
IBU: NA
Boiling Time (Minutes): NA
Color: ?
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): NA
Additional Fermentation: NA
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): NA
Tasting Notes: NA

I am going to start two 1 gallon batches of mead for gifts next year, I would just like to get some feed back on the recipe thanks.

3lbs clover honey
1lb tart cherries
2oz nesquik chocolate mix
1/4 cinnamon stick
Pinch nutmeg/allspice
Small handful of mixed raisins and currants cranberries (dried)
Spring water to bring to gallon mark
Lalvin D-47 yeast hydrated in water
Staggered nutrient addition

When fermentation is done I will rack into secondary adding another pound of tart cherries,One scrapped vanilla bean and will top off with cold infused coffee(strained) will use 3oz of fresh ground coffee.

I will let it sit in the secondary for 1 month then rack into another carboy where it will age for 6 months, then bottle it where it will age for another 4 months before it will be given out as gifts,

Any feed would be great

It sounds interesting, but there's a lot going on. Personally it sounds better to me before the coffee addition.

I'd skip Nesquick. If you want chocolate, use some cocoa powder, or better yet some cocoa nibs (much less messy and faster clearing), or even some chocolate extract. The Nesquick contain a lot of other stuff including soy lecithin as an emulsifier that might give you a difficult to clear haze.

Good luck!

Medsen

I got the idea for using Nesquick coco milk mix from this topic

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/our-chocolate-mead-experiment-94358/index6.html

In his findings it cleared out and tasted better then other coco powders/syrup and bars.

That's a fascinating thread and thanks for pointing it out. Clearly Nesquick can work. What I really want to know is what was the final gravity in each of the batches. Using Nesquick will add a good bit of sugar, and perhaps it is the best tasting because it is the sweetest? I think I'll ask.

Back