Christmas Clue Game: Do you play it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad

Reaction score
My wife and I used to give each other obscure, brain mangling clues about each others Christmas gifts. The more convoluted the better, though you always had to be able to make the logical connection. For example, for her new Palm Pilot PDA one year I gave her the clue Hugin & Munin.

Hugin and Munin were the ravens that sat on Odin's shoulders. They represented Thought and Memory and brought him the news of the world each day. After looking up Hugin and Munin, she identified the gift in about 10 minutes.

Another year, her clue for my new Pact brand shooting timer was Tontinehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine and Jim Croce. A tontine is, in general, a pact (hint hint) among a group of people, and Jim Croce sang "Time in a Bottle." The clue for a pair of sweatpants was Richard Simmons.

That's how the game is played.

The kids always wanted to play, but were never really up for the heavy duty clues, which always involve some research or a deep knowledge of trivia. We tried to make it easy but it didn't work out. One year the clue for my daughter's new boots was Nancy Sinatra. She didn't get it. It was frustrating for both of us.

This year, my son wants to revive the tradition. He's at an age where he can make these sort of logical leaps. And now there's Google, which levels the playing field considerably.

So my questions are:
* Do you do anything similar with your family, and
* Given the clues Jack Haley and Chic/well defined,*
what is the gift?

Chad
*(yes, it helps to know what he's asked for for Christmas, but you should be able to work it out fairly easily)

Oh yeah we play. The hints were along the lines of
Her: Is it an animal?
Me: Its animal related.
Her: Is it a dog?
Me: Related to a dog.

There are some others that I am forgetting but its a remote car starter from Bulldog Security.

Cool. It's good to see that other people are as nuts as we are.

For the curious or impatient, the gift is the Iron Man DVD. Jack Haley was the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz. I figure that's just a short hop down the periodic table from Iron Man. The second half of the clue, chic/well defined works out to Tony/Stark, the main character in the movie. I had an even better clue, When it rains it pours goose feathers, before realizing that the actor was Robert Downey, not Morton Downey :rolleyes:

Chad

Back